[seqfan] Re: Mathematical notation

Chris Starling chaosorder4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:44:02 CEST 2009

In school, I was taught angles in degrees for algebra, and then mostly in
radians for trig.  But I always thought of them as fractions of a circle,
rational or irrational, for artistic purposes.
So in my own designs I began to use a notation with a coefficient and a
symbol for a circle. For instance, 120 degrees would be "(+)/3", with the
parentheses and plus standing in for a circle showing its center.  Later I
discovered 3D angles and steradians, but I thought of them as "space
shares", and similarly to the angles, draw a coefficient and a sphere, with
center and now an equator.  So a cube vertex is "(+)/8", you'll have to
imagine the equator.  Of course, the irrationals of either 2D or 3D can use
inverse trigonometric functions on a rational number.