[seqfan] Re: Another chemistry related sequence?

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:03:25 CEST 2009

The two greatest unknowns at the upper fringes of the Periodic table
are: (1) The island of stability, a term from nuclear physics, first
proposed by Glenn T. Seaborg,  that describes the possibility of
elements with particularly stable "magic numbers" of protons and
neutrons. This would allow certain isotopes of some transuranic
elements to be far more stable than others; that is, decay much more
slowly. A filled shell would have "magic numbers" of neutrons and
protons. One possible magic number of neutrons is 184, and some
possible matching proton numbers are 114, 120 and 126 — which would
mean that the most stable possible isotopes would be ununquadium-298,
unbinilium-304 and unbihexium-310. Of particular note is Ubh-310,
which would be "doubly magic" (both its proton number of 126 and
neutron number of 184 are thought to be magic) and thus the most
likely to have a very long half-life. (The next lighter doubly-magic
nucleus is lead-208, the heaviest stable nucleus and most stable heavy
metal.) None of these superheavy isotopes has yet been produced, but
isotopes of elements in the range between 110 through 114 have been
found to decay more slowly than isotopes of nuclei nearby in the
periodic table. ["Shell Model of Nucleus". HyperPhysics. Department of
Physics and Astronomy, Georgia State University.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/shell.html.
Retrieved 2007-01-22.] [Emsley, John (2001). Nature's Building Blocks
((Hardcover, First Edition) ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. (pages
143,144,458). ISBN 0198503407.]

"We search for the island of stability because, like Mount Everest, it
is there. But, as with Everest, there is profound emotion, too,
infusing the scientific search to test a hypothesis. The quest for the
magic island shows us that science is far from being coldness and
calculation, as many people imagine, but is shot through with passion,
longing and romance. -- Oliver Sacks ["Greetings From the Island of
Stability", Opinion in the New York Times, February 8, 2004]

(2) Untriseptium,  a hypothetical chemical element which has not been
observed to occur naturally, nor has it yet been synthesised. Due to
drip instabilities, it is not known if this element is physically
possible. Its atomic number is 137 and symbol is Uts. Calculations
have shown that 364Uts would be the most stable isotope. Unofficially
called Feynmanium because Richard Feynman noted that a simplistic
(Bohr model) interpretation of the relativistic Dirac equation runs
into problems with electron orbitals at Z > 1/α = 137, (the 1s
electrons would have to move faster than the speed of light)
suggesting that neutral atoms cannot exist beyond element 137, and
that a periodic table of elements based on electron orbitals therefore
breaks down at this point. However, a more rigorous analysis
calculates the limit to be Z ≈ 173. Alternatively, such ultra-heavy
atoms have negative energy ground states.  Alternatively, there is
spontaneous production of electron-positron pairs between the nucleus
and innermost electron shell.