[seqfan] Re: L-reptiles

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 03:50:05 CEST 2010

Thanks David for this proof (below) of the impossibility of a
replicate tiling of an L with three pieces.  It inspired me to provide
an almost proof for 5 pieces:
If the original "L" is composed of three squares of side 1, as follows:
BC
then every tile touching the top edge of A (say there are T of them)
is actually included in A (because all sides of all pieces are
necessarily horizontal or vertical...), and similarly
every tile touching the right edge of C (say there are R of them) is
included in C.  Now any region containing B cannot be covered by a
unique tile (such a tile would cover all of the original L...).
Therefore R+T<=3.
By symmetry, we can assume 1<=R<=T. So the only possibility is R=1 and
T=2.  The region not covered by these three tiles is of the form
bb
bbc
or
bbc
bb
(where the four b's cover the initial B) plus a part of the inital A.
It has to be covered by two tiles.  One of these two tiles has to be
bc
or
bc
respectively, and the remaining region is not L-shaped.
This was long yet non-rigorous...  What is frustrating is that we
"see" such tilings are clearly "very" impossible, yet I cannot use all
the constraints in an efficient way.
Benoit