[seqfan] Re: pentolysis: coming apart in five pieces

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Apr 18 09:10:51 CEST 2010

Or more simply, all odd squares are congruent to 1 mod 8.

Note that when you subtract 1 from an odd square and divide by 8, you
get an arbitrary triangular number: ((2n+1)^2 - 1) / 8 = n(n+1)/2. So
the question of which numbers congruent to k (mod 8) are the sum of k
[distinct] odd squares is equivalent to the question of whether an
arbitrary number is the sum of k [distinct] triangular numbers. From
A002243, we see that there are only a few numbers that cannot be
represented even as the sum of 3 distinct triangular numbers. There
will be somewhat more that cannot be represent as the sum of 5 such,
because more numbers are too small; but the largest such number won't
be all that large. This means that you only have to check a relatively
few cases to see that any sum of 13 distinct triangular numbers is also
a sum of 5. I haven't actually done such a check, or even determined
how large a value you have to check up to, but it seems fairly likely.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters