[seqfan] project: looking for connections between sequences

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Wed Aug 11 17:30:45 CEST 2010

Dear Seq Fans,
Several people have suggested that it would be interesting
to run the whole 200,000 sequences through Superseeker,
to see if there are interesting connections to be discovered.

I think this is too big a project.
I would like to suggest a smaller project.

Let us consider just those sequences which
have the following properties:

1. a(n) is the number of ....  [that is, sequences which count something]
2. there is no formula given for a(n)
3. at least 8 terms are known

There will be a few thousand such sequences.

Then run these through Superseeker, and see if
they appear to be related to any of the 200,000
sequences in the OEIS - or if Superseeker can
suggest a formula or recurrence for them.

I think this project has a chance of making
one or two interesting discoveries.

By the way, at present Superseeker only lives on my machine
at work, where it is shared with my colleagues. It queues up
submissions, so only one job runs at a time.
The plan is to move it to the oeis.org site, once the OEIS wiki is finished.

I am also planning to make the source code for Superseeker public.
But that will take a while.

So this project that I am proposing is something for the future

Neil