[seqfan] A179094

Douglas McNeil mcneil at hku.hk
Thu Aug 26 07:46:58 CEST 2010

Recently Tom Young submitted

%S A179094 0,5,23,57
%N A179094 Similar to sequence A047838. Fill an n x n array with
various permutations
               of the integers 1, 2, 3, 4... n^2. Define the
organization number
               of the n x n array to be the following: Start at 1,
count the rectilinear
               steps to reach 2, then the rectilinear steps to reach
3, etc. Add
               them up. The array that has the maximum organization
number would
               be the "most disorganized." This sequence is the
sequence showing
               the most disorganized number for n x n arrays starting at 1 x 1.

I like this sequence but currently it only has three values (the 57 is
a lower bound).  This is basically a traveling salesman variant.

If I'm reading my notes correctly I find 0, 5, 23, >=61, >=119, >=212,
>= 335, >= 507, >= 719, >= 993 but those could be pretty loose.  It'd
be nice to have at least fourth known term, as you can get 0 and 5 by
inspection..  Any takers with a good TSP code?

Doug

--
Department of Earth Sciences
University of Hong Kong