[seqfan] Re: Does (e i)^(pi i) have an imaginary part?

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Sun Aug 8 18:25:41 CEST 2010

Hi -

It's best to learn how to unravel this without a computer if you can, as with mathematica or maple
one can always worry about whether zero really means zero!

I would suggest reading an introductory text on complex analysis: the complex exponential is usually one of
the first examples of analytic functions in any such book.

The multi-valuedness of the logarithm may take a bit longer to understand than the exponential.

However, if you know how the ordinary (real) exp and log functions work, then you should quickly get the hang of the
complex case.

>From the basic rules of exponentiation,

(a b)^c = a^c b^c

means that

(e i)^(pi i) = e^(pi i) i^(pi i) = - i^(pi i).

Also, exp and log are inverses of each other, and one of the basic rules of logs is that

log (a^b) = b log a,

so this means

i^(pi i) = e^log ( i^(pi i) ) = e^( pi i log i )

Now i = e^( pi i /2 ) so one branch of the logarithm (the principal branch) gives

log i = pi i /2

and hence

i^(pi i) =  e^( ( pi i  )(pi i /2 ) = e^( - pi^2 /2 ),

so finally

(e i)^(pi i) = -  e^( - pi^2 /2 ),

which is real and about -0.007, agreeing with M-ma below.

However, bear in mind that the function i^z is multi-valued due to the multi-valuedness of log, so
there are an infinity of different answers.

All the best,
Andy