[seqfan] Re: OEIS in Science News

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Aug 12 22:27:38 CEST 2010

ARP said on Aug 10:
>Would be much more interesting if would show how OEIS helped in
achieving some scientific discovery (any case for that ?)

This message only reached me on Aug 12, I don't know why
it was delayed.

There are a lot examples mentioned in the list
of articles that cite the OEIS,
see the Welcome Page and click on "articles citing ..."

Here is a recent example from that page:

N. Cavenagh and P. Lisonek,
Planar Eulerian triangulations are equivalent
to spherical latin bitrades,
J. Combin. Theory Ser. A  115  (2008),  no. 1, 193-197.
[Although the OEIS is not mentioned, the discovery in this paper was made usung the OEIS.]

Another:

T. Y. Chow, H. Eriksson and C. K. Fan,
tableaux</a>,
Elect. J. Combin., 11 (2) (2005), #A3.
[T. Y. Chow writes that although they forgot to mention it in the paper,
the OEIS helped them discover the main theorem.]

Also

B. Poonen and M. Rubinstein,
of Intersection Points Made by the Diagonals of a Regular Polygon</a>,
SIAM J. Discrete Mathematics, Vol. 11, pp. 135-156
(<a href="http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~poonen/papers/ngon.ps">ps</a>,
(Although the Encyclopedia is not mentioned in the final version,
this paper was born when I wrote the beginning of sequence
on the blackboard in the Commons Room at AT&T Bell Labs
and appealed to people to extend it.)

One of my favorites is:

Brendan D. McKay, Frederique E. Oggier, N. J. A. Sloane, Gordon F. Royle, Ian M. Wanless and Herbert S. Wilf,
Digraphs and Eigenvalues of (0,1)-Matrices</a>,
Journal of Integer Sequences, 7 (2004), #04.3.3.

Neil