[seqfan] Re: Poll: Sequences Suitable For Crunchers vs. Formula Finding Algorithms

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Thu Aug 26 18:59:51 CEST 2010

> Perhaps such a sequence as A006945 could be thrown onto the BOINC
> world (since many participants crunch simply for the points).

Yes, that would be nice.  But this search should not be done by brute
force (sieve + test); Jan Feitsma et. al. have a good technique that
improves on that by orders of magnitude.

> Aside: With the advent of AKS, how long will the Miller-Rabin terms be
> useful (a guess)?

I would guess 100+ years.  AKS has been dramatically improved by
Bernstein and others, but it's not currently competitive at any
feasible size.  In any case it will never be as fast as Miller-Rabin,
which is useful for determining whether a number is likely to be prime
(before proving it with ECPP, APR-CL, or AKS).

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University