[seqfan] A thought about the license: on "merciless editing"

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:26:23 CET 2010

First let me remind everyone that I'm not a lawyer. I don't quite like the
words "edited mercilessly" in the license, as they suggest rudeness and
caprice to my mind, but from a legal viewpoint they may be exactly the right
thing. Or maybe a lawyer would recommend something more along the lines of
"edited at will and without notice."

But I think most researchers who use the OEIS would prefer something more
like "edited for mathematical correctness and clarity, English spelling and
grammar, and to conform with standard practices for scientific writing."
Granted that there are a few subtopics in which the OEIS is in a unique
position to set what the standard practice is (digit concatenation comes to
mind), but for most core mathematical topics, the standard practices are
pretty much set and there is little need to come up with new terminology and
new notations.

Though I figure a lawyer would object to my wording on the grounds that it
would sign away the power to edit for reasons other than those I've listed
here, both foreseen and unforeseen.

Al