[seqfan] Re: Lack-a-day

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Thu Dec 2 19:44:02 CET 2010

I think the new top-level search behavior, while well-intentioned, is
causing a lot of needless confusion and ought to be changed.

As I understand it, the new behavior is to show the basic sequence along
with only such other lines as contain terms in the input search query.

That behavior is optimized to reduce irrelevant clutter in scenarios where
the user is doing a very focused search.  However the downside is that
displayed results are shorn of potentially relevant context, which is
critical in other scenarios, especially the common "casual" use case.

It also differs from how popular search engines (Google et al) behave.

It is true that clicking on the A123456 link at the top left of the sequence
gets you to the full entry, but this isn't readily apparent, thus requiring
more special knowledge and an involving an extra step.

My recommendation is to change the "home page" behavior back to displaying
full listings, and provide the new tighter search behavior as an option for
power users.