[seqfan] Re: OEIS license: CC by-sa option?

Russ Cox rsc at swtch.com
Mon Dec 6 03:19:47 CET 2010

>> If you don't want to see ads, don't look at answers.com.
>> Using CC-BY-NC-SA would mean, if we ever invoked the SA
>> clause to bring any external changes back into the OEIS, that
>> it could never be put to any commercial uses, even if the
>> OEIS Foundation wished to approve such uses.  One important
>> commercial use is the publication of the next book version,
>> and there are doubtless others (like the ones explicitly allowed
>> by the current license).  That is the rationale behind proposing
>> CC-BY-SA instead of CC-BY-NC-SA.
>
> Maybe I do not understand this. Nevertheless let me cite this statement
> from wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions .

The text you quoted is true only for the licensor.  Right now that
is indeed the OEIS Foundation.  But in my text above I said
"if we ever invoked the SA clause to bring any external changes
back into the OEIS".  So for example if someone else set up
their own site with a cleaned up OEIS, the SA clause would give
us the right to incorporate their modifications.  *BUT* it would
only give us the CC license rights to them, meaning that we
would then be bound by it w.r.t. the imported changes or else
have to exclude them from any future commercial use.

Russ