[seqfan] Re: Number of Euler graphs: A002854 or something else?

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 5 01:56:38 CET 2010

I did a quick survey of graph theory books on my shelves (about
a dozen) and found that ALL of them defined an "Eulerian graph"
to be a graph with an Eulerian tour ( = Eulerian circuit).

So while I am quite familiar with the definition that only requires
all degrees to be even (and used it myself at least once), it is
certainly not accepted as a standard. Also, the definition "having
an Eulerian tour" is the one that makes the most historical sense.

Interestingly, I found about 5 books with the following "theorem":
  A graph is Eulerian (i.e., has an Eulerian tour) iff it is connected
  and every vertex has even degree.
This is FALSE, since a graph remains Eulerian (by the definition in
those books) if isolated vertices are added.

Max's edits to Wikipedia need to be replaced by a discussion of the
variations of definition in the literature.  And OEIS should state
the definition being used for A002854.

Cheers, Brendan.