[seqfan] Re: Asymptotic for A074753

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Jan 13 05:23:10 CET 2010

The density of the semiprimes themselves does go to zero; the number of
semiprimes up to n is about

n log log n / log n.

Looking at MathWorld,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DivisorFunction.html, we have formula 36
(from Hardy and Wright),

Sum(k=1..n, sigma(k)) = pi^2/12 n^2 + O(n log n)

which means that the average order of sigma(n) is pi^2/6 n.  This
strongly suggests that the limit is non-zero, but I don't see how to
make that rigorous.  It suggests 6/pi^2 = .6079... as the limit, but I
doubt that.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters