[seqfan] Re: New or old seq: The maximum number of shift-minimal winning coalitions, 'On Dedekind's problem for complete simple games'

Sascha Kurz sascha.kurz at uni-bayreuth.de
Tue Jan 19 07:27:20 CET 2010

2) Directly determining some more values of the maximum number of
shift-minimal winning coalitions is not that easy. Without using any
further tricks cliquer (http://users.tkk.fi/pat/cliquer.html - a software
package for finding cliques) will take too long.

But, Krohn and Sudhoelter have shown in "Directed majority games" (on
pages 196-198, using a result from RP Stanley "Weyl groups, the hard
Lefschetz Theorem, and the Sperner property", 1980) that the maximum
number of shift-minimal winning coalitions equals is the maximal number of
subsets of {1,2,...,n} that share the same sum.

Checking numerically whether A025591 equals indeed the maximal number of
subsets of {1,2,...,n} that share the same sum (as the comment says)
should be easy. As I understand it, a proof for the latter equality is
contained in Theorem 2.1 of Dorin Andrica and Ioan Tomescu, On an Integer
Sequence Related to a Product..., Journal of Integer Sequences, Vol. 5
(2002), Article 02.2.4

Best wishes,
Sascha