[seqfan] Re: J-language.

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Fri Jul 2 12:50:13 CEST 2010

Guys, I was J-esting!

The URL I gave ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacit_programming )
is indeed a nice mini-intro to the ideas.
(see also http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Pointfree ).

No one suggested deleting anything.

* Olivier Gerard <olivier.gerard at gmail.com> [Jul 02. 2010 12:12]:
> I concur with Antti,
>
> J is a very interesting language I have been using from time
> to time.  The pleasure of concision in expressing algorithms
> in it is really rewarding and the use of operators reminds of
> adjuncts in category theory.  I regret that they are not completely
> free sourcing it but they provide enough platform support.
>
> I remind you that tastes and colors of programming languages
> are not the subject of seqfan.  The fact that someone dislikes
> the look of a programming language's source is not a good reason
> to delete a working and correct entry in a field of the OEIS.
>
> In fact, the more programs and programming paradigms
> in the OEIS, the better.
>
> But editing these programs can be a challenging task. The OEIS
> will certainly need more work from expert programming editors.

The 'code' section of our seqs is IMHO not a primary place of concern.
I rarely find code that is incorrect (beyond repair).
(There are places where code is IMHO bordering on obfuscation).
The lack of code (and sometimes even definition) in some
(types of) seqs is worse.

There are other issues which I find more important,
like unreflected use (1) or random invention of (2) terminology:

Example for (1) (calling a million linear recursive seqs
"Generalized Fibonacci Numbers"):
 http://oeis.org/classic/?q=%22generalized+fibonacci%22&sort=0&fmt=0&language=english&go=Search

Example for (2) ("amazing polynomial"):
 http://oeis.org/classic/?q=%22amazing+polynomials%22&sort=0&fmt=0&language=english&go=Search