[seqfan] Re: Interest Poll: BOINC project for "hard" sequences

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 05:43:53 CEST 2010

To judge importance of sequences, I suggest using Google or Bing to search
for inbound links to the sequence and count the number of hits. A sample
Google search is "sequences/A006880 -site:att.com" (without the quotes),
which presently estimates 144 results. The same query on A000043 estimates
1340 results.

I was of the impression that a BOINC server does no problem computation. So
it shouldn't require a dedicated system, until there are hundreds of
clients, after which you could probably take donations to rent a CPU in a
server farm.

So what about running the BOINC server on an existing home PC (under CygWin
if necessary) that is always on, and using DynDNS to provide the clients a
way to reach it? It seems to me that would be cheaper than $324/year. You
would have to find someone on this list has a computer they're already
leaving on all the time, and reimburse them some small fraction of their
cost.

--
  Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com