[seqfan] Re: Excess permutation left moves over right moves

Ron Hardin rhhardin at att.net
Sun Jul 18 03:06:20 CEST 2010

I wrote
> Then  on to the cumulative excess ones you suggest.  (Is it obvious that if
>the
>
> individual ones have recurrences that the cumulative must  also?)

A quick side calculation shows that the cumulative sequences have the same
recurrence as the individual ones (with a different series, of course).

Here's for left exceeds right by one or more, out to the 30th term
1 37
2 73
3 142
4 276
5 539
6 1059
7 2092
8 4150
9 8257
10 16461
11 32858
12 65640
13 131191
14 262279
15 524440
16 1048746
17 2097341
18 4194513
19 8388838
20 16777468
21 33554707
22 67109163
23 134218052
24 268435806
25 536871289
26 1073742229
27 2147484082
28 4294967760
29 8589935087
30 17179869711
Empirical fit from a(1..8), then matches a(9..30):
a(n)=5*a(n-1)-9*a(n-2)+7*a(n-3)-2*a(n-4)

same as before.

 rhhardin at mindspring.com
rhhardin at att.net (either)