[seqfan] Re: smallest number = to the sum of two prime numbers cubed in two (+) ways

Christopher Gribble chris.eveswell at virgin.net
Mon Jul 19 18:57:33 CEST 2010

The number 1729 is mentioned in "A mathematician's apology" by G. H. Hardy.
>From Wikipedia:
"1729 is known as the Hardy-Ramanujan number after a famous anecdote of the
British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a hospital visit to the Indian
mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. In Hardy's words:[1]
" I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden
in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a
dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied,
"it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as
the sum of two cubes in two different ways." ""

Chris Gribble