[seqfan] Re: OT: paper "Number representations and dragon curves"

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Thu Jun 3 14:05:29 CEST 2010

* Robert Munafo <mrob27 at gmail.com> [Jun 03. 2010 13:01]:
> I believe the earliest reference on paperfolding any dragon curve would be
> this Sci. Am. column from 1967:
>
> Gardner, Martin. "The Dragon Curve and Other Problems (Mathematical Games)",
> *Scientific American*, March, April, July, 1967.

Thanks, good to know.

> (the 1978 book "Mathematical Magic Show", which is in my library, is merely
> a reprint of this and other Sci. Am. columns. Note that "March 1967" would
> be when Gardner first covered the topic and the later months, in this case
> "April, July" are typically addenda with correspondence from readers.)
>
> [...]
>
> *The Heighway dragon [...] ...  in 1967. Many
> of its properties were first published by Chandler Davis and Donald Knuth.

This is exactly why I am after the paper.

> [...]
>

> *
> I spent a lot of time in high school and college making dragon curves out of
> paper and making huge posters of it with a flatbed plotter. It's 2010 and we
> still can't do that as easily as we could then (-:

I can create a dvi or postscript or pdf of any size,
just tell me what curve and style (e.g. arrowheads?) you want.

%  stringsubst 5 L  L L+R+L-R  R L+R-L-R  + +  - -  | tail -1 | ./bin 4 2 0 > pic-test.tex && make dotex

> - Robert
> [...]

thanks again,   jj