[seqfan] Re: A048200 variant: invert [1, 2, ..., n] allowing one swap and two shift-rotate operations

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Jun 4 18:33:42 CEST 2010

I should have looked more closely at what you said you are doing. Now
that I have, I don't think my approach can be made comparably fast.

Your approach could be done with just 2 bits per permutation, encoding
"not yet reached", "reached this time", "reached last time", and
"reached previously. This pretty well gives up getting the actual
sequence of operations, however.

Keeping a count as you are doing, it isn't too hard to find the
sequence of operations once you're done. Look at the 3 neighbors of the
target to find one with a count one lower, then look at its two
remaining neighbors, etc.

Next question: for n = 4..9, a(n) = n(n+1)/2 - 2. Is there a general
solution of this length? (If so, does it continue to be optimal?)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters