[seqfan] Re: Martin Gardner & humour MIORE!

gould at math.wvu.edu gould at math.wvu.edu
Wed Jun 9 04:05:25 CEST 2010

Some years ago Martin Gardner ran an April fool story in his Scientific
American column giving a "counterexample" to the four color conjecture.
The map he presented  certainly seemed to show a map that required five
colors.
but it  required only a few minutes to trace around and show that the
fifth color was  redundant.
HOWEVER a reviewer for the German Zentralblatt für Mathematik totally
misunderstood the gag and wrote a serious review saying that the article
indeed showed a 4CC counterexample!
I got a big bang from the joke!

Henry Gould
P.S.: I knew Martin for a long time and I really admired his work and
personality.
By the way Martin was an avid Sherlock Holmes enthusiast.
I tried to get him to visit here in West Virginia and speak to our Math.
Dept. and our local Sherlock Holmes Baker Street Irregulars :"Scion of
Four", but he was too busy to visit.
He cited my extensive bibliographies on Catalan and Bell numbers in two
separate articles he wrote.  Martin as Dr. Matrix will never be forgotten.