[seqfan] Re: Unique Products Regarding Binary Matrices

Rick Shepherd rlshepherd2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 16:43:22 CEST 2010

Hi Leroy,

I also highly suspect that solutions exist:  It only took me a few tries by
hand to find a 9-by-9 with 16 unique products from the 18 possible {1, 2, 3,
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 24, 27}.  If I have time
later, I'll give this more thought.

I also agree with Hugo's statement:  Exchanging all 0s and 1s in any given
solution would also result in a solution (and of course there would be
symmetries of the square by rotating and flipping).  Different sequences
could be generated by including or ignoring these.

If solutions do exist and they're not too numerous, I could imagine this
being a good somewhat Sudoku-like puzzle (with some entries given upfront).

Rick