[seqfan] Re: (no subject)

Rick Shepherd rlshepherd2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 22:07:29 CEST 2010

There are many ways these (9x9) solutions could be categorized.

For example, has anyone yet found a solution with palindromic strings in all
rows?
(This would be significant in checking that solution counts are accurate
considering symmetries.)

Analyzing the 5 solutions posted here and in sci.math so far, 5 palindromic
rows *and* columns is the record, split 3 and 2.

I've been running a(n inefficient PARI) program since yesterday evening
looking only for such but haven't found any yet.
Specifically, I'm exhaustively shuffling these nine specific row strings and
their independent bit reversals:

 [1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1] (1)
 [0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0] (3)
[1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1] (4)
[1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1] (5)
[1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1] (7)
[1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1] (9)
[1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1] (12)
 [0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0] (16)
 [0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0] (27)

1 and 27 must be represented by these two specific palindromic strings or
their bit reversals.  The product 20, not included in the current search,
can also be represented by a palindromic string -- and alternate strings are
also possible for some of these products.

So, even if this run actually completes without finding any solutions (and
because I didn't expect it to run nearly this long to find just one and
stop, I didn't build in any progress markers), there are large numbers of
possibilities above I'm not even checking (yet).

If such a solution isn't possible, what is the maximum total number of rows
and columns possible with palindromic strings?

Thanks,
Rick