[seqfan] Re: (3^n+1)/2 is prime, A171381

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Mon Jun 14 18:15:44 CEST 2010

Some experiments with Pari suggest that a 3.0 GHz machine with 3.5 MB
of L2 cache (per core) could do a Rabin-Miller test on that number
(20, that is, 1.6 million bits) in about two weeks.  Since you won't
find a machine with that much L2, you'd probably need a month.

That's actually not as bad as I had expected -- though maybe reality
won't be as forgiving as my estimates.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University