[seqfan] Re: R: how is A177018 defined?

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Fri Jun 18 21:34:13 CEST 2010

>="Maximilian Hasler" <maximilian.hasler at gmail.com>
> lexicographically smallest increasing sequence such that a(n) +
A067076(n) +
> n-1 is an odd prime.

I think this works if you change "increasing" to "non-decreasing".

Certainly part of the confusion here arose from the "Numbers n such that..."
style description.  This idiom is the "evil twin" of the natural "Primes p
such that...".  It can cause mischief because conventionally in the OEIS n
almost everywhere stands for the *index* of the n-th sequence element a(n),
but in these exceptional cases n is being used instead as a variable ranging
over the set of sequence elements *themselves*, versus their indices.  I
think this mischievous idiom generally should be eschewed.

I'd also guess many of the 299 explicit references to A001477 might be cries
for editorial help.