[seqfan] Re: Extending signature sequences for transcendental numbers

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Jun 21 18:36:04 CEST 2010

Interesting idea.

I've never seen anything on this, but I'm not in a position to do a
literature search.

You can also look at S{n,k}: the ak in a0 + a1x + ... + an x^n. In
general, it is interesting to look at S{n,k}(x) for 0 <= k <= n/2;
after that, we have S{n,n-k}(x) = S{n,k}.(1/x).

Your T(x) sequence is going to be well-defined. It is only interesting
if x > 1; for x < 1, it is all 1's. Similar to the above, you could
call this T0(x), and extend to T1(x), T2(x), etc.

It is easier to see the meaning of your T(x) if you work with the
decremented signature sequence: take a0 + a1x  for a0 and a1
non-negative, instead of strictly positive. Sorting, the a0 sequence is
the signature sequence for x with 1 subtracted from each term. This is
exactly the same for the S{n,k} sequences. The similar T sequence is
the a0's for the sorted a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + ... with all the ak's
non-negative, and all but finitely many of them zero. Increment again
to get your T sequence.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters