[seqfan] Re: 4-12-28-60

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Jun 23 22:36:42 CEST 2010

As the promulgator of the "rule of 2", I guess I ought to say something.

First, absolutely, any one clearly interesting fact about a sequence is
sufficient reason to submit it. The rule of 2 applies when all you have
are marginally interesting properties.

Let me give you an example of some sequences that I did not submit.
Some time back, the question occurred to me as to whether there was a
nontrivial multiplicative sequence that is also a permutation of the
integers.

A bit of thought shows that there are many such sequences. A completely
multiplicative permutation is obtained from any permutation of the
primes. Also, a permutation can be readily obtained from any
permutation of the numbers of the form p^2^n (A050376). But which
permutation(s) to choose? One can just switch pairs of primes (2 3)(5
7)(11 13)..., or take a single infinite cycle with 2 in the "middle", p
== 1 (mod 4) on one side, and p == 3 (mod 4) on the other (... 13 5 2 3
7 11 ...); or put 3 in the "middle", with p == 1 (mod 3) on one side
and p == 2 (mod 3) on the other (... 17 11 5 2 3 7 13 19 ...), or ....
For A050376, one can have a single cycle with primes on one side and
higher powers on the other (... 25 16 9 4 2 3 5 7 ...); or swap p^2^2k
with p^2^{2k+1}: (2 4)(3 9)(5 25)(7 49)(11 121)(13 169)(16 256)..., or
.... And there are still other possibilities, e.g. based on p^3^k.

None of these really sticks out to me. So I'm left with submitting one
or two dozen sequences, or none at all. By the rule of 2, if I can find
some other, unrelated marginally interesting property possessed by one
(or a few) of these sequences, I would submit it. There is one case
where I did find such a property: A159253 (a(n) is the smallest
positive integer not yet in the sequence such that n * a(n) is a
cube.), which is the swap p^2^2k with p^2^{2k+1} described above  -
though I would have submitted that sequence based on its defining
property alone. Other than that, I haven't submitted any of these
sequences. A few are already in the database: a quick search turns up
A011262, A061898, A064614, A072026, A072027, A072028, A072029, and
A108548.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters