[seqfan] Oh, To Offend

Leroy Quet q1qq2qqq3qqqq at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 20:58:03 CET 2010

I just submitted these two sequences:

%S A175262 1,6,7,20,21,22,23,28,29,30,31,72
%N A175262 "Obscene numbers": Those positive integers that when written in binary contain an odd number of digits, the middle digit being a 1.
%Y A175262 A175263
%K A175262 base,more,nonn
%O A175262 1,2

%S A175263 4,5,16,17,18,19,24,25,26,27,64
%N A175263 "Prudish numbers": Those positive integers that when written in binary contain an odd number of digits, the middle digit being a 0.
%Y A175263 Cf A175262
%K A175263 base,more,nonn
%O A175263 1,1

First, an explanation of the names, which might be inappropriate to include as comments to these sequences.

The "Obscene" part of obscene numbers comes from the 1, a vertical line, that makes of the MIDDLE DIGIT. (A f***-you hand-gesture.)

The "Prudish" comes from the fact that these numbers are not obscene. I didn't call them "non-obscene" numbers because a sequence with that name sounds like it also includes all positive integers with an even number of binary digits.

So, the question. I have submitted a lot of sequences. But almost none of these sequences do I give clever names (or even unclever names).
Is naming sequences frowned upon at the EIS?
I did check first to see if "obscene" or "prudish" were somewhere in the EIS or somewhere in Mathworld. They were not. So, I assume that the names are original. (Do I have to do a more thorough search for sequence names before I name a sequence?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Leroy Quet

[ ( [ ([( [ ( ([[o0Oo0Ooo0Oo(0)oO0ooO0oO0o]]) ) ] )]) ] ) ]