[seqfan] Big Numbers in the Champernowne Continued Fraction Expansion

Hans Havermann pxp at rogers.com
Tue Mar 30 19:23:08 CEST 2010

Ten years ago next month, I was working on pulling large numbers out
of the continued fraction expansion of the Champernowne constant. To
wit, I submitted A038705: 2, 3, 5, 19, 41, 163, 527, 1709, 4839,
13523... Position of the incrementally largest term in continued
fraction for Champernowne constant (A030167), noting in the extensions
that "It is likely that the tenth term is 13523, but not certain,
since the Champernowne term at that position has yet to be calculated."

I notice now that on 4 September 2008, Mark Sofroniou confirmed that
guess with an actual calculation. Eric W. Weisstein contributed on
that day A143533: 0, 1, 2, 4, 18, 40, 162, 526, 1708, 4838, 13522...
which is essentially a duplicate of my sequence, adding an initial
zero, creating a zero-offset and thus reducing all my position values
by one. I'll leave it to Neil or the OEIS editors to figure out what
offset makes more sense and make necessary editorial alterations.

Hans