[seqfan] Re: seqs whose |differences| are 1,2,3,4,...

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Mar 11 06:42:06 CET 2010

OK, I'll see what I can do.

First, let me note that there are two assertions here, which I can
clearly see are true, but I can't actually prove either of them.

The first is that Paul's sequence is not onto.  I think a careful
analysis of exactly how it behaves will enable this to be proved.

Paul's sequence is, by construction, the lexicographically first
one-to-one sequence with the difference property.

The second assertion that I can't prove is that, given any one-to-one
finite sequence with the difference property, that ends with a new
maximum, it is possible to extend to a permutation.  We do this by
extending to a sequence which contains the minimum value not yet in the
sequence and ends with another new maximum.  Iterating this will
produce a permutation.  (Obviously, any sequence ending with a new
maximum can be indefinitely extended.)  So, for example, after starting

0,1,3,6,2,7

we wish to extend to a one-to-one sequence including 4.  Simply trying
all possibilities, the shortest such is

0,1,3,6,2,7,13,20,28,37,27,16,4

which can be extended by 17,31,46 to reach a new maximum.  (I have not
yet determined what the shortest extension from here to include 5 and
escape to infinity is; I think I'll have to write the program instead
of continuing to work on it by hand.)

Now, any permutation with the difference property must be greater than
Paul's sequence.  Find the point at which Paul's sequence is smaller,
continue to a new maximum in the sequence, and this can be extended to
a permutation smaller than our original one.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters