[seqfan] Re: Proposed solution, differs from A005132 after 23 terms (was Re: seqs whose |differences| are 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 23:41:23 CET 2010

Franklin,

Thanks for the "one-to-one" clarification. I was only using the term because
it was in your proposed wording "How about 'The lexicographically first
one-to-one sequence a(n) satisfying |a(n+1)-a(n)|=n'?" and I didn't see the
meaning in your other messages describing the algorithms (I found them a bit
confusing).

In my language "onto" is a preposition so I don't like to use it as a noun
or adjective. But "bijection" is great so I'll use that.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 14:56, <franktaw at netscape.net> wrote:

> Yes, "indefinite postponement of hole-filling" is a reasonable way to
> describe why there is no minimum permutation.
>
> You are misusing "one-to-one".  This means only that no value is
> repeated.  The property that every number is present is called being
> "onto".  A sequence that is both one-to-one and onto is a "permutation".
>
> Alternatively, these can be described as injections, surjections, and
> bijections, respectively.
>
> Franklin T. Adams-Watters

 Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com