[seqfan] Re: Sequences for Orderings

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Mar 26 23:29:32 CET 2010

Note that, for the reverse ordering, n [<] m iff n > m, the index
sequence is the all ones sequence, A000012.

I believe that the index sequence for Sharkovsky's ordering starts
1,1,1,2,2,3,3,5,4,6; this is not in the OEIS.

I think this is a good idea, but it needs to be documented; someone
going to mathematical literature or on-line reference sources won't
find it.  Basically, a quick description like that in Marc's note
(quoted below) should either be included in a sequence (the index
sequence for Sharkovsky's ordering seems like a good choice) or added
to the OEIS as a separate document.  Whichever is done, this can then
be referenced anywhere the idea is used.

-----
Just looking at finite sequences, there are a number of important
sequences that can be enumerated by counting restrictions of this idea.

With no further restriction, we are counting the factorial numbers
A000142.  If we require a(n+1) <= a(n) + 1, we get the Catalan numbers,
A000108.  Requiring a(n+1) <= max(a(1),...,a(n)) + 1 gives us the Bell
numbers A000110 (and this a standard representation for set
partitions).  Restricting so that the number of occurrences of each m
in a(1)..a(n) is at least the number of occurrences of m+1 in the same
sequence gives us the involutions, A000085 (these are trivially in
one-to-one correspondence with the Young tableaux).  Requiring a(n) <=
a(n+1) <= a(n) + 1 gives us the count of compositions, A011782
(essentially powers of 2).  Apply both of these last two restrictions
and we are counting partitions, A000041.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters