[seqfan] Concordance to "What's Special About This Number?"

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sun May 30 04:06:27 CEST 2010

Dear Seq Fans,

Erich Friedman has a very nice (and deservedly popular) page called
'''[http://www2.stetson.edu/~efriedma/numbers.html What's Special About This Number?]'''
(All the links and formatting in this email are in wiki-talk
and refer to the oeis.org/wiki)

Erich's page does not, however, mention the sequences in the OEIS where these numbers can be found (and from where I suspect most of the entries were taken).

I have created a set of ten pages on the oeis wiki as a snapshot of his page as of May 23, 2010,
with pointers to the corresponding entries in the OEIS. The pages are:
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 0) | Part 0: 0 to 999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 1) | Part 1: 1000 to 1999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 2) | Part 2: 2000 to 2999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 3) | Part 3: 3000 to 3999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 4) | Part 4: 4000 to 4999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 5) | Part 5: 5000 to 5999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 6) | Part 6: 6000 to 6999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 7) | Part 7: 7000 to 7999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 8) | Part 8: 8000 to 8999]],
[[Annotated version of "What's Special About This Number?" (Part 9) | Part 9: 9000 to 9999]].

Sequence fans are invited to add more pointers to these pages, by adding the appropriate A-numbers to the entries.  (To do this, click the EDIT tab on the page)

This is great fun, by the way - you get to figure out what sequence
or sequences the description refers to.

In some cases it may be necessary to create new sequences - see A158304 and A169823 for examples (if the sequence was not yet in the OEIS).

Once this project is finished all the A-numbers will be converted to links to the OEIS.

I should add that this is being done with Erich Friedman's approval.

I did not do a very good job of converting the original html format to wiki format, and in some cases you may have to refer to Erich's page to figure out the meaning or the links.

You may well find better descriptions for some numbers.  If so, please send them to Erich and make the corresponding changes on the wiki pages.

The wiki software is complaining that these pages are too long. I decided to ignore these complaints.

I had to learn about the wiki formatting language to do this -
there are many helpful pages, such as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial_%28Formatting%29

Of course you will need to be a registered oeis wiki user to do this.

Neil Sloane