[seqfan] Re: what defines the digits of A144565

Ray Chandler rayjchandler at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 18:06:45 CEST 2010

> Q: Does anybody know what a correct definition of
> http://oeis.org/classic/A144565 (p-th digit of sqrt(2), where
> p=prime(n)) would be? Absolutely obscure to me: I tried
> sqrt(3), sqrt(4), perhaps shifts of the enumeration of the digits...

Previously discussed on seqFan 3/29 when Charles Greathouse asked the question in the thread "Help me understand these
sequences".  Obscure indeed.

You have to prepend {2,1,2} (digits of "2^(1/2)") to digits of sqrt(2)= 1.41421356... ,
then take p-th digit to duplicate the sequence.

Neill was able to "rescue" a similarly-crafted sequence from the same author (A144522) by looking only at the digits
following the decimal point, but that sequence was summing pairs of digits and required only removing the first couple
of terms of the sequence.

IMHO A144565 is not worth rescuing.

(correcting several typos and mis-statements in previous submission)
Ray