[seqfan] Re: OT: telling one-to-one polynomial maps in a finite field

Roland Bacher Roland.Bacher at ujf-grenoble.fr
Mon May 17 16:13:15 CEST 2010

Inspired by this question, I posted a question at MO (Math-Overflow)
asking for possible degrees of such polynomials.

I guess that the group of such polynomials (modulo reduction by
$x^q-x$) is generated by affine bijections and by maps of the form
x-> x^k with k coprime to q-1. This gives no answer to your question
because it is probably difficult to write a given polynomial (up to x^q-x,
of course) explicitely as a product of such generators.

Roland