[seqfan] New Version of OEIS

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Wed Nov 17 00:00:41 CET 2010

Announcement: New Version of OEIS!
After 2 years of struggle, there is a new version of the
On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (the OEIS).
There are two parts: the main OEIS page, oeis.org,
which has all the sequence data, and a wiki, oeis.org/wiki,
which has discussion pages.

To contribute a new sequence or edit a sequence, you must first register
with oeis.org/wiki - click Register, enter your real name in 2 places,
enter your email address, etc. When you get issued a password,
go to the main page, oeis.org, and login with the same user name
and password.

Now when you look at a sequence, you will see "history" and "edit"
buttons next to the "graph" and "listen" buttons. The "edit" button
lets you edit the sequence. To submit a new sequence, use the "Submit
new seq." link at the bottom of any sequence page.

If you don't login, you won't see the edit button. All contributions
will be reviewed by the editors (if you would like to help
by becoming an editor, let me know).

That this works is due to the enormous efforts of Russ Cox,
who has completely rewritten all the OEIS software.
David Applegate has also been of great help in getting the new
system working.

Some 18 months ago we discovered that the mediawiki software
was incapable of handling the kind of queries that the OEIS generates.
I had almost given up hope that these problems would ever be solved.
But thanks to Russ, as of Nov 11 2010, oeis.org is finally running.

This means that after 45 years, I no longer have to process every single
contribution to the database.

Thank you, Russ and Dave: you have saved the OEIS!

In the Spring of 2009 we set up the OEIS Foundation,
a 501(c)(3) public charity, which owns, runs and collects
funds to support the OEIS. The web site is oeisf.org.
We need donations!

Neil Sloane
President, OEIS Foundation Inc.