[seqfan] Re: Partial sum of Pascal's triangle is a power of 2.

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:58:37 CEST 2010

I didn't hear back from anyone, and then forgot about it -- so it took a few
months for me to realize I had never submitted the sequence.

In the meantime, another seqfan reader linked A008949 to the
as-yet-nonexistent "A171886". That link works now.

   http://oeis.org/wiki/A171886

NJAS added the 1977 reference to MacWilliams and Sloane. I do not have
access to that book. Does anyone know if it proves or disproves the
proposition that 1+23+253+1771=2048 is the only non-trivial[1] occurrence of
a power of 2 in sequence A008949? Or is there any other later work that
does?

- Robert Munafo

[1] "Trivial": Referring to the example partial sums in
http://oeis.org/wiki/A008949, examples of "trivial" occurrences of powers of
2 include the first and last terms of each row, and the "8" and "64" in the
row "1,8,29,64,99,120,127,128".

--
  Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com
 Follow me at: mrob27.wordpress.com - twitter.com/mrob_27 -