[seqfan] Re: Implementing first 500 sequences in Java

Jay Anderson horndude77 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 22:13:25 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Sean A. Irvine <sairvin at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Java does has the BigInteger class, but I actually use my own
> implementation for big numbers because BigInteger is not
> particularly fast and is a little feature limited.  My big
> number arithmetic is based mostly on Lenstra's LIP package.

For numeric performance in Java I've also seen gmp used. (See the the
language benchmark game:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/program.php?test=pidigits&lang=java
though it doesn't seem to include the source for libjpargmp.so which
is uses). In fact in the alternative Java implementation 'gnu
classpath', gmp is used underneath their BigInteger implementation.

Is your big integer implementation written in pure Java? Do you have
the source available somewhere?

-----Jay