[seqfan] Netiquette on the list (was Re: Re: phi-antipalindromic numbers)

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 10:16:53 CEST 2010

Dear SeqFans

A few interventions on this recent thread forces me to restate a few rules
of common sense
that I usually recall only privately to subscribers.

1- Nobody except Neil and me is entitled to decide or express what is
suitable for inclusion
on the seqfan mailing list or take a moderator stance.

   + In particular suggestions of extension or work by other on interesting
sequences are welcome

2- Style and tone must always be very gentle, polite and understanding
(except for some
moderator interventions). In particular everyone should bear in mind that

   + This is an international list and members have varying degree of
knowledge of english

   + Written email do not convey enough context and can be easily
misinterpreted as harsh

   + There are both professional scientists and programmers and amateurs of
all kind here

   + Most problematic mails you can see on seqfan should have been sent
privately anyway

3- There has been a steady increase of traffic on seqfan, and it is probably
too high by now for most.
Especially considering the noise increase.

I want all members to please remember and follow these rules:

   +A+ No more than a question/intervention/new topic by day by person.

   +B+ No more than a reply by day to the same topic/thread by person.

   +C+ Always check if you should better send your answer privately to a few
members.

The more common objections to these rules are

   + "But I have so many ideas !
              => Good for you ! Choose the most important ones and ponder
the others."

   + "But I have made a mistake or forgotten something in my reply !
              => Next time re-read and verify your contribution even more.
We are not in a race."

   + "But if I answer privately nobody will know how creative and witty and
fast and deep and knowledgeable and etc. I am.
              => This is clearly not the purpose of seqfan. We have some
outstanding members by the way. Just enjoy the company."

I will put repeat offenders on systematic moderation for an unlimited
duration.

If you want to comment on this mail, do not reply to the list.

Regards,

Olivier GERARD
Seqfan List Administrator