[seqfan] Re: Stones On A Finite Triangular Lattice

Douglas McNeil mcneil at hku.hk
Sat Sep 4 05:55:07 CEST 2010

> Let a(n) be the smallest number of stones (each stone being small enough
> to fit within one of the smaller triangles) such that every smaller triangle
> of the larger triangle is in at least one "row" shared by a stone.

I accidentally came up with several related sequences when trying to
determine this one so it's possible I'm still solving the wrong
problem.  As best as I can tell, though, the sequence begins

[1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6]

and I expect it continues like that.  Looks like the sequence is A008619.

Doug

--
Department of Earth Sciences
University of Hong Kong