[seqfan] Re: estimating growth of a sequence

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 02:00:58 CEST 2011

In my experience, it is nearly impossible to guess logarithmic
factors correctly by a numerical trial like this.  In order to
distinguish logarithms from powers of logarithms and small
powers of n, too many terms are needed.  It is easy to find
lots of different functions f(n) for which a(n)/f(n) appears
to be flattening out.

This problem seems not too hard for asymptotic analysis.

Brendan.