[seqfan] Authorship of b-files

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Aug 18 05:45:41 CEST 2011

Authorship of b-files

Dear Editors-in-Chief and Sequence Fans:

Tony Noe points out that there is a problem with the authorship of b-files. He says:

"Everything else about OEIS seems to follow the fairly nice mathematical authorship rules.
But as practiced now, anyone can add one term (I have seen this) to a b-file and
change the author to themselves.  I propose that if someone creates a
b-file and later someone adds to that b-file, then both authors should appear.
I think it would be easy for the editors to enforce this rule."

I agree that this is a problem. In fact when someone adds terms to an
existing b-file, both - or all - author's names should appear.

Something like this could be our model:

A, B and C, <a href ....>Table ...< /a > [Terms 1 through 50 were computed by A, terms 51 through 60 by B, and term 61 by C]

or perhaps even better:

A, B and C, <a href ....>Table ...< /a > [Terms 1 through 50 were computed by A, Jul 01 2003; terms 51 through 60 by B, Aug 01 2004; and term 61 by C, Aug 17 2011]

I will add something like this to the Instruction Page for B-files next week,
when I return home.

Neil