[seqfan] Re: YouTube videos for Recaman and Stern Diatomic

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 06:19:28 CEST 2011

All in all it's good because you've dealt with the problem of how to express
a wide range of numbers by ensuring that the highest not is essentially the
logarithm of the value of the number being played. The normal OEIS music
function has to artificially wrap around (by default using a pitch modulus
of 88)

I would prefer if the integer portion is expressed in Fibonacci base
(AKA Fibbinary , see A003714) with an extra bit for the sign, and the
fractional part (if any) in phinary. That way if the sequence is all
integers, the bit string grows in only one direction, like normal base-2
numbers. Also, phinary doesn't have a very obvious conversion algorithm but
Fibbinary does.

Also, it seems like you're using a lot of different instruments, which is
okay, but I think the pitch and/or timbre correspondence should be more
monotonic, with higher/louder sounds for more significant digits.
  That is, for every n and m where n>m, the note generated by phi^n should
be higher in pitch and/or "louder" than the note generated by phi^m. Small
fractions like phi^-27 should be really low bass notes, going off the bottom
of hearing range as the fractions get even smaller.

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 07:00, Dale Gerdemann <dale.gerdemann at googlemail.com

--
  Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com
  Follow me at: gplus.to/mrob - fb.com/mrob27 - twitter.com/mrob_27 -