[seqfan] Re: Largest (a1) in the OEIS

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Aug 27 02:37:48 CEST 2011

Some of this already exists. The underscore "_" represents an arbitrary
number, so 7,_,38 will match 7 (not 1), anything, 38. Likewise, two
underscores will match an arbitrary sequence of numbers - 11,__,99 for
your example.. (I'm not sure if it will match nothing, or if it
requires at least 1 number.)

There's been some discussion of matching at the beginning; the problem
is that "the beginning" may change. The 1,3,8 you're looking for may
actually be in the database as 0,1,3,8, with offset 0.

As part of my F-numbers proposal, I suggested allowing specification of
the index a number is to be found at. I.e., 1->1,3,8 would look for
a(1) = 1, followed immediately by 3 and 8.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters