[seqfan] Re: Use of Easy keyword

Alex M timeroot.alex at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:03:29 CET 2011

I think "easy" would make sense applied if, say... A(n) can be computed in
O(n^k) for some k. That is, polynomial in the number, not the number of
bits (as things are often defined in comp sci). Factorization of n *can* be
done in polynomial time of n. Even perhaps the slowest algorithm, trial
division, operates in O(sqrt(n)). Using more advanced methods this is
actually reduced to sub-polynomial in n. By this definition, some examples
of what would be easy, what wouldn't be:

Easy
-Number of divisors-A000005 (as stated above, O(sqrt(n)), and easily
subpolynomial)
-Sum of divisors-A000023 (a maximum of log(n) divisors can be added in
polynomial time)
-Factorial-A000142 (n multiplications of log(n)-digit numbers; O(n
log(n)^2))
-Digits of pi-A0000796 (O(n log(n)^2 log(log(n)) with Salamin-Brent
algorithm)
-Fibonacci sequence-A000045 (adding n O(n)-digit numbers -> O(n^2) time)

Borderline:
-Prime Fibonacci numbers-A005478 (F(k) can be checked for primality in
O(k^6) with AKS; their density is ~ 1/ln(phi^k) = C/k. Roughly k will have
to be checked for the next prime, giving O(k^7). This is a high exponent,
and so should perhaps not be easy.)

Not necessarily easy (unless you get some trick, perhaps)
-Mersenne exponents-A000043 (Successful exponents have density of log(n),
so you need to check primes up to O(2^n), giving O(2^n / n) - greatly
superpolynomial.)
-Conway's Look-and-say sequence-A005150 (dealing with O(1.3035^n)-digit
numbers requires the same amount of time. This may some counter-intuitive,
but look at a(1000) - that would be horrendous to compute, compared with
the 1000th digit of pi.)

I'm hoping that some kind of exact criterion could be worked out, then;
O(n^4) or faster, perhaps?

~6 out of 5 statisticians say that the
number of statistics that either make
no sense or use ridiculous timescales