[seqfan] Re: Hetero-labeled trees

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Dec 13 15:37:16 CET 2011

It is IMO better to describe these as "weights" rather than "labels".
So what you are defining are "hetero-weighted trees", the requirement
is that each node has a distinct positive integer weight, and the
weight of any non-leaf node is the sum of the weights of its children.

As far as I know, no one has studied these, but I don't know everything.

Try counting how many such trees there are with a given weight at the
root, and see if that sequence is in the database. (One could break
this down further, asking how many such trees there are with leaf
weights a particular partition into distinct parts (see A118457). There
will always be at least one: the single node tree for a partition with
only one part, and a height 2 tree for any other partition into
distinct parts.)

Other than that, I have to wonder whether every term in your sequence
is a triangular number. Whether it is or not, this suggests another
sequence: the maximum number of consecutive values 1 to a(n) in a tree
whose leaves have weights 1 to n.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters