[seqfan] Re: The Demichel errors, continued

D. S. McNeil dsm054 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 22:03:21 CET 2011

"We are a museum. In the basement are some fossils with the wrong labels,
fossils hitherto unknown to science. We should throw them away
and replace them with the correct fossils?!"

OEIS QOTY.. :^)

----

Anyway, I scanned through all the sequences in a013538.txt and found
64 which I couldn't roughly identify from the g.f. given in the name.
(By roughly, I mean ignore a few at the start -- for example, A012509
seems to be missing an initial 2, etc. -- and don't care about the
offsets or signs.)

Of the "unknown", 41 involve csc/csch.  0 of the 1477 known sequences
involved csc.

Following up on NJAS' earlier suggestion, I chose a few test sequences
and experimented with scanning all expressions (w/o essential
singularities at zero) of the form f(g(x) [+-] h(x)) and f(g(h(x))),
with f,g,h in

       [sin, cos, tan, sinh, cosh, tanh,
         sec, sech, csc, csch, cot, coth,
         asin, asinh, acos, acosh, atan, atanh,
         asec, asech, acsc, acsch, acot, acoth,
         exp, log, sqrt]

but couldn't find anything which worked, either because there's
nothing to be found or because of an oversight on my part.

Here are the 64 sequences in a013538.txt which weren't trivially
recognized by my code.  I don't claim they're wrong, much less
inexplicably so, only that they passed my first filter and that I'm
pretty sure I can identify the remaining ones, so those interested in
playing guess-the-sequence can concentrate their efforts below:

A012854 log(log(x + 1)*csc(x))
A012856 log(arcsin(x)*csc(x))
A012857 log(arctan(x)*csc(x))
A012858 log(sinh(x)*csc(x))