[seqfan] Re: Do all numbers of A174658 occur as balanced ternary reinterpretations of mu(d) sequences?

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Feb 26 03:29:19 CET 2011

Certainly not all members of A174658 can occur. The divisors of n > 1
always start (1, p), and so the mu values start (1,-1). Thus, for
example, 8 (1,0,-1) and 32 (1,1,-1,-1) cannot occur.

There are other sequences that can't occur; for example, we can't start
with 1,-1,1. And any sequence that includes a 0 must end with 0.

Yet further; if the number of prime divisors omega(n) = A001221(n) = k
> 0, the number of 1's and the number of -1's will each be 2^(k-1).

It would be interesting to see a complete description of what sequences
can be obtained in this way.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters