[seqfan] Re: Should this be cited as a link to A000396?

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Feb 10 17:23:07 CET 2011

There is some inconsistency in usage in the literature.  It is
not always agreed that 1 is a proper divisor.  For  n > 1,  a
possible solution is to define the ``aliqout parts'' of  n  to
be the divsors of  n  apart from  n  itself, so that a perfect
number is equal to the sum of its aliquot parts.  I'm not sure
what to do about  n = 1.  It seems certain that  sigma(1) = 1,
which gives  s(n) = sigma(n) - n  to be  0  when  n = 1.  This
would make it quite clear to us aliquot sequence pursuers when
a sequence had terminated.       R.